Monday, February 13, 2017

Letting the weather guide me

     Late last year, I decided to make one of those awesome temperature afghans I had been seeing in many of the crochet groups I am in. So then I sat down to figure out all the details. What kind of yarn would I use? What colors? What stitch? Hook? Would it be highs or lows? Both? I didn't realize just how many choices I had when it came to this one project.

     After looking at a LOT of different yarns, I settled on Red Heart Super Saver because it is cost effective and I liked the range of colors available to me. Now before I could really choose the specific colors I wanted, I needed to figure out my temperature ranges.I decided to go with the High temps for the day. So my yarn/temperature chart looks something like this.

temperature blanket gauge

     I then  took a bit of time, giving it a bit of thought and trying to gauge what kinds of temperatures I'd be dealing with, I decided on ten degree increments. Once I knew how many colors I would need, then I went about picking my colors. I ended up with ten different colors. 

     Now that I was set on my colors, I did more searching on Pinterest to see what stitches and patterns others had used in the past. I wanted something that I could do 365 rows of and not have my blanket be gigantic. I settled on Moss Stitch, a simple single crochet, chain one repeat. I must say though that this was not my first choice. I did start out with another stitch (hdc, ch 1) and crocheted six or seven rows. However, I paused a moment, did a little math and had to rip all of those rows out once I realized my blanket would end up about twelve feet long if I used that stitch. 

     The only things left to do were pick out my hook size and figure out how wide to make it. The hook size was a piece of cake. My favorite hook size is a J hook. As for size, I just started chaining until it looked about right. My starting chain was around 200 chains. I don't quite remember and I really should have written that down. Oh and every time I go to count it, my four year old starts counting. So.... there goes that haha.

     Right now I am a little behind in my rows but I do keep track of the highs for the days in my planner and I refer to Weather Underground to help me with that.

temperature afghan


This is through the month of January. I'm currently rather aggravated with the fact that we had sixty degree days in January. I did not exactly envision yellow yet. I'm just irked by it lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment